|Starting situation||All children are spread over the tatami.|
|Description||1. The children will walk or run around over the tatami, without touching each other;
2. The teacher announces an action and also performs it. The action is announced by: "The teacher says...". For example: "The teacher says touch your head!";
3. The child that obeys the last, is eliminated and sits on the side;
4. If the teacher says only "Touch your head", without saying 'The teacher says' first, the children who make the gesture are eliminated;
5. To make the game more fun, you can announce an action and make another one;
6. The last one to stay standing is the winner of the game.
|Security rules/tips||Remind the children to watch each other during the game. Speed may cause accidents.|
|Variations of the exercise||You can add obstacles and rules on the tatami. E.g. you can put hoops all over the tatami. The children are not allowed to go inside the hoops. It will make the exercise more difficult.|
|Teachers tips/comments||- Play around with not saying "The teacher says..." first and by making the wrong movements while you announce the action. - Don't let the game take too long. Especially when the children are young.|
|Skills||General motor skills|
The children that last are eliminated and have to be honest about that. If somebody cheats, the others cannot trust him. It’s less fun to play the game if children cheat.
Even if a child is really excited, they still have to stay in control of themselves and watch out for the other children. If they don’t focus and keep themselves under control, there might be clashes.
|Author||IJF Judo for Children Commission|
Back to exercise list